FiltersShow / Hide
- All Events
- Theatre & Shows
- Days Out
- Christmas VIP
- Anywhere In The UK
- Location: Anywhere in the UK
Radius: ... miles
This event has been and gone!
Catch the next one:
Check out the info below for future tour dates, and track them to receive alerts when they tour near you
The ICA in partnership with the Independent Alliance of Publishers are delighted to launch Independents Day, a unique event to celebrate and explore independence across the creative industries and its impact on cultural innovation and business in the UK.
The programme presents a lively, exciting day of discussion, debate and entertainment, bringing together special guests from across the independent arts industries: publishing, theatre, film, art and music.
• Industry and independence: What constitutes being ’independent’? And what is the future for independent business? A high profile panel including Gregor Muir, Executive Director of the ICA, Laurence Bell, Founder of Domino Records, Stephen Page CEO of Faber and others will debate the art of being independent in the 21st Century. Chaired by Justin Webb.
• The State We’re In: Leading experts including John Lanchester and Stephanie Flanders will debate whether it is possible to thrive in the arts and media industries in the current economic climate.
• Making Debuts: What are the prospects for a first-time writer? What’s the key to discovering new talent and what role does the independent sector play in nurturing the stars of tomorrow? Writers and editors talk about their publishing experiences including Patrick Flannery, Amy Sackville, Bea Hitchman, Ellah Allfrey from Granta and Ravi Mirchandani from Atlantic Books. Chaired by Erica Wagner.
• Paths to publication: In the age of self-publishing what role can the literary magazine play in cementing the reputation of new writers? What is the relationship between experimental writing and publishing practices? Chaired by Jacques Testard and Ben Eastham of the White Review.
• Evening Event: An unforgettable night of readings and conversation with authors Alan Bennett, Simon Armitage and Edna O’Brien.
Chaired by Kirsty Lang. Also featuring a live music line-up in the ICA bar and poetry from rising stars, Emily Berry and Sam Riviere.
Track this event
- Event has been added to your calendar
- Any important updates will be sent to your email address
- Add to your personal Ents24 calendar
- Sync with iCal, Outlook and others
- Receive important updates
SW1Y 5AH 51.506630, -0.130321
Phone: 020 7930 3647
→ Charing Cross 7 min walk
→ Charing Cross 2 min walk