The original building, opened in 1848, and the first Catholic Cathedral in the UK since the Reformation, was the work of the great Victorian Architect, Pugin. Although much of the Cathedral was badly bombed in 1941 during the Second World War, a great deal of his design remains, and is incorporated into the rebuilt Cathedral, which was re-opened in 1958.
The Cathedral is situated at the junction of Westminster Bridge Road, Lambeth Road, St George's Road, and London Road, SE1, and is a short walk from Westminster Bridge. Lambeth North tube station (Bakerloo Line) is approximately 3 minutes walk away, and Waterloo, Southwark, and Elephant & Castle stations are around seven minutes walk away. Numerous buses serve the area.
Official website southwark-rc-cathedral.org.uk
St George's RC Cathedral
- 33 Westminster Bridge Road
- SE1 7HY