There is record of a parish church in Edinburgh by the year 854, served by a vicar from a monastic house, probably in England. It is possible that the first church, a modest affair, was in use for several centuries before it was formally dedicated by the bishop of St Andrews on 6 October 1243. The parish church of Edinburgh was subsequently reconsecrated and named in honour of the patron saint of the town, St Giles, whose feast day is celebrated on 1 September.
4 upcoming events at St Giles' Cathedral:
Track St Giles' Cathedral
- You are tracking St Giles' Cathedral
- Email alerts will be sent to your email address
- Be the first to hear about new events at St Giles' Cathedral
- Alerts are free & always will be
- 1,382,365 fans now rely on Ents24 alerts
- We hate spam, your email will never be shared
PutCustomisable, flexible tour date widget… Super quick set-up, get the code here: event listings on your web site
News and Announcements RSS feed
No current news or announcements.
Have Your Say
- Have you been to St Giles' Cathedral? Why not write a review?
Do you represent St Giles' Cathedral, or are you a member of their promotional team? Click here to claim this page