The Hare & Hounds, situated in the South Birmingham suburb of Kings Heath, is a Grade II listed building which dates back to 1907 in its present form. The listing is aimed at protecting some original interior features, especially the Art Nouveau tiles that line the walls of the York Road entrance and stairs. It replaces the original public house that was built by Aaron Payton between 1820 and 1824 and at one point served as a base for Worcestershire Rural Police. The pub and venue underwent a significant restoration to preserve its original features, reopening in 2006.
Two upstairs venue spaces(150/250 cap) feature regular live music nights spanning jazz, indie, funk, reggae, hip hop, soul, pop, house, D&B, comedy, burlesque, workshops for craft and music, spoken word, cabaret and vintage fairs amongst other events.
Official website hareandhoundskingsheath.co.uk
Hare & Hounds
- 106 High Street
- Kings Heath
- B14 7JZ
Hare & Hounds image © Jack Spicer Adams