FiltersShow / Hide
- All Events
- Theatre & Shows
- Days Out
- Anywhere In The UK
- Location: Anywhere in the UK
Radius: ... miles
Sorry - no tickets available
Call 0844 412 4642 to speak to the Ents24 team
calls cost 6p per min plus standard network charges
Ents24 have been trusted online since 1999
Ents24 is proud to be…
- The UK's most popular independent ticketing website.
- Trusted by entertainment fans since 1999.
- An easy and safe place to buy tickets for thousands of shows.
Yoshua Okón: Octopus
Inserted within the US tradition of civil war re-enactments, Octopus (2011) by artist Yoshua Okón offers an alternative presentation of the Guatemalan Civil War. Where usually such activities take place in historically significant locations by enthusiasts with no direct experience of the conflict in question, in this work the site is of symbolic significance.
The battlefield is relocated to US soil at a Home Depot parking lot in Los Angeles, and the conflict is performed by people who fought during the Guatemalan Civil War. The former soldiers are now members of the Los Angeles Mayan community, and they gather to look for work as day labourers in the same parking lot where this performance takes place.
The title, Octopus, makes reference to the nickname used in Guatemala for The United Fruit Company, UFCO (now known as Chiquita Banana), a US Company based in Guatemala and directly linked to the CIA-led coup and to the following civil war. Also presented is US (2005), a single channel animation originally created for the Monuments For The USA show.
Track this event
- Event has been added to your calendar
- Any important updates will be sent to your email address
- Add to your personal Ents24 calendar
- Sync with iCal, Outlook and others
- Receive important updates
Enquiries: 0161 200 1500
→ Oxford Road 2 min walk