Work on the present Cathedral began in the 11th century under the leadership of Abbot Simeon, and the monastic church became a cathedral in 1109 with the Diocese of Ely being carved out of the Diocese of Lincoln. The monastery at Ely was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1539. Ely suffered less than many other monasteries, but even so, statues were destroyed together with carvings and stained glass. St Etheldreda's Shrine was destroyed. The Cathedral was refounded with a Chapter of eight canons in 1541 as was the Kings School. Robert Steward, the last Prior of the monastery, became the first Dean.
The first major restoration took place in the 18th Century under James Essex. With the arrival of Dean George Peacock in 1839 a second restoration project began. Together with the architect Sir George Gilbert Scott, he restored the building to its former glory.
A third major restoration project, the most extensive to date, was begun in 1986 and was completed in the year 2000.
Ely Cathedral currently has no upcoming events
Track Ely Cathedral
- You are tracking Ely Cathedral
- Be the first to hear about new events at Ely Cathedral
- Alerts are free & always will be
- 1,382,365 fans now rely on Ents24 alerts
- We hate spam, your email will never be shared
We do not currently have any events for Ely Cathedral
Track Ely Cathedral be the first to know about new tour dates
Tracking Ely Cathedral you will be the first to know about new tour dates
Email me when new Ely Cathedral events are announced.
You are signed up to Ely Cathedral events. We will let you know as soon as new dates are announced.
- Receive email as soon as new events are listed
- 1,382,365 fans now rely on alerts to follow their favourite artists and venues
- Alerts are free and you can unsubscribe at any time
- We won't pass your email address to anyone else
News and Announcements RSS feed
No current news or announcements.
Have Your Say
- Have you been to Ely Cathedral? Why not write a review?