This event has been and gone!
Catch the next one:
See all dates for Jitka Hanzlová
In 1982 Jitka Hanzlová defected from the Communist regime in Czechoslovakia and settled in Essen in West Germany.
Since then she has sought to explore her experiences through photography, producing a body of work at once poetic and truthful.
Hanzlová’s photography is in constant pursuit of the relationship between the individual and the context in which he or she lives. It scrutinizes the ways in which home and surroundings indelibly shape identity. Drawing on her own life story, Hanzlová’s photographs also speak to a more universal longing for a sense of place.
This is the first major retrospective of Hanzlová’s photography over the last two decades. Emerging from her experience of two different cultures and political systems, her work is a profound meditation on European identity in a post-Cold War world.
Image © National Galleries of Scotland
Track this event
- Event has been added to your calendar
- Any important updates will be sent to your email address
- Add to your personal Ents24 calendar
- Sync with iCal, Outlook and others
- Receive important updates
Join the millions of entertainment fans that trust Ents24
- Get the full picture with the UK's biggest entertainment guide
- Buy tickets from trusted ticket sellers
- Our customers rate us excellent on Trustpilot
→ Waverley 7 min walk