- All Genres
- Theatre & Shows
- Days Out
The Zoology Museum collections are wide-ranging and are worldwide in scope. The collections cover the whole of the animal kingdom, from protozoa to the great whales. They reflect the teaching and research interests of our staff and students, but also the gifts of graduates and friends of the University over the past 200 years. The museum contains around 75,000 specimens. The collections of invertebrates, fish, mammals and birds are particularly comprehensive with most major orders and families represented. The Zoology Museum has a number of aspects of particular interest. One of these is a collection of skeletal material, originally part of the comparative anatomical collections of Regius Professor of Anatomy John Struthers (1823-1899), which includes scientifically important whale limbs relating to Darwin's theory of Evolution. Accompanying this material is an interesting set of comparative anatomical models, including examples from the major 19th century model makers like Auzoux, Brendel and Osterloh. Perhaps the most significant of these are around 40 glass models of marine invertebrates by Rudolph and Leopold Blaschka. Amongst the ornithological collections are 12 important skins relating to John James Audubon (1785-1851) and his work with Professor William MacGillivray (1796-1852). These skins complement about 100 dried plant specimens, presented to MacGillivray by Audubon (held within the University's Herbarium).
University of Aberdeen, Zoology Museum currently has no upcoming events
Track University of Aberdeen, Zoology Museum
- You are tracking University of Aberdeen, Zoology Museum
- Email alerts will be sent to your email address
- Be the first to hear about new events at University of Aberdeen, Zoology Museum
- 862,548 fans now rely on Ents24 alerts
- Alerts are free and always will be
- We never share details with 3rd parties
We do not currently have any events for University of Aberdeen, Zoology Museum
Track University of Aberdeen, Zoology Museum be the first to know about new tour dates
Tracking University of Aberdeen, Zoology Museum you will be the first to know about new tour dates
Email me when new University of Aberdeen, Zoology Museum events are announced.
You are signed up to University of Aberdeen, Zoology Museum events. We will let you know as soon as new dates are announced.
- Receive email as soon as new events are listed
- 862,548 fans now rely on alerts to follow their favourite artists and venues
- Alerts are free and you can unsubscribe at any time
- We won't pass your email address to anyone else
Venue: University of Aberdeen, Zoology Museum
AB24 2TZ 57.167828, -2.106224
News and Announcements RSS feed
No current news or announcements.
Have Your Say
- Have you been to University of Aberdeen, Zoology Museum? Why not write a review?
Do you represent University of Aberdeen, Zoology Museum, or are you a member of their promotional team? Click here to claim this page