FiltersShow / Hide
- All Events
- Theatre & Shows
- Days Out
- Anywhere In The UK
- Location: Anywhere in the UK
Radius: ... miles
Work on the present Cathedral began in the 11th century under the leadership of Abbot Simeon, and the monastic church became a cathedral in 1109 with the Diocese of Ely being carved out of the Diocese of Lincoln. The monastery at Ely was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1539. Ely suffered less than many other monasteries, but even so, statues were destroyed together with carvings and stained glass. St Etheldreda's Shrine was destroyed. The Cathedral was refounded with a Chapter of eight canons in 1541 as was the Kings School. Robert Steward, the last Prior of the monastery, became the first Dean.
The first major restoration took place in the 18th Century under James Essex. With the arrival of Dean George Peacock in 1839 a second restoration project began. Together with the architect Sir George Gilbert Scott, he restored the building to its former glory.
A third major restoration project, the most extensive to date, was begun in 1986 and was completed in the year 2000.
1 upcoming event at Ely Cathedral:
Track Ely Cathedral
- You are tracking Ely Cathedral
- Email alerts will be sent to your email address
- Be the first to hear about new events at Ely Cathedral
- Alerts are free & always will be
- 1,035,828 fans now rely on Ents24 alerts
- We hate spam, your email will never be shared
Venue: Ely Cathedral
The Chapter House
CB7 4DL 52.397900, 0.263950
→ Ely 10 min walk
Have Your Say
- Have you been to Ely Cathedral? Why not write a review?
Do you represent Ely Cathedral, or are you a member of their promotional team? Click here to claim this page